I recieve a SOS message today , quote:
I really need your help. I bought Samsung Galaxy Tab SG-T849 from somebody from USA. He claimed that it is unlocked and can be used worldwide. However, when I received it, it is T-Mobile network locked!.. I try to contact him but no avail. Now, I am thinking if somebody can do network lock for me in Malaysia.. I used Maxis 3G line.. Can you advise me any shops to do that? thanks again you are running a US firmware, get the European firmware to get the Phone software.
This was my reply to him based on solutions found on Modaco ( edited ) :
On your phone dial *#7465625# and check if the Network Lock is set to [ON], if so then your phone is locked. Proceed with following steps
1. Use Superoneclick (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=812367) to root your phone
2. Use Root Explorer , locate following files and rename it according to your wish:
3. Restart your phone and then go into the /efs/ directory and see if the ‘nv_data.bin.md5′ file has been re-created by your phone. If it has been created the next steps are :
4. Go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/show…9&postcount=94 and download the repair_nv_data.zip file
5. Install ‘busybox’ from the Market. Once installed, RUN it and properly install it
6. Extract the above zip to your PC, plug in your Tab in USB debugging mode. Run the Step 2.bat from the extracted file. You may need to allow the script super user access several times. This should copy the /efs/ and a bunch of files into a directory with a french name.
7. Run the Reparation_nv_data.jar file. (You will need Java for this step.) It will prompt you to enter two numbers, which are your pseudo-unlock codes. Just entered ’11111111′ and ’11111111′ (eight 1′s) both times. This rewrites the nv_data.bin file to be simunlocked with these details.
8. Run the Step 4.bat. Your superuser app (the one installed when you rooted using SuperOneClick) will need you to allow each command to have root access so keep an eye on your Tab. You may need to press y/n a few times if you encounter errors. This is uploading the edited nv_data.bin onto your Tab.
This batch file will stop several times and need you to hit a key when it pauses. The TAB will be rebooted halfway through this batch file – when it did this just wait for it to fully reboot back to the lock screen before pressing a key to make the script continued while the Tab was actually able to respond to its commands.
9. Towards the end of its execution it will reboot a second time. It will paused during loading up and some yellow writing on the screen saying it was updating media . Leave it for a minute and it will prompt you to reboot/some other options. Just press whatever it wants (home ) to reboot the phone – you don’t want any of the other recovery options.
10. Go into your dialer and put in *#7465625# again and Your phone should no longer be network locked. Test with your local sim card.
*** Edited from Modaco Source