Now that Barcelona’s Mobile World Congress is over, all eyes are now on the upcoming iPad 2. Interest in the iPad2 has gone feverish in view of the spate of 10″ Android tablets announced by Samsung, Motorola, HP, LG , RIM and Huawei. The most obvious challengers are the Motorola Xoom and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. Comparisons of these new offerings with the present iPad will soon be just an academic exercise.
This is a brief rundown on what the new iPad2 could offer . All such forecasts are mainly based on information leakages from suppliers of Apple, predictions and analysis by Apple pundits and general trend of the competition. There is still no sure certainty of these . But everyone just love predictions and juicy rumors . So here goes based on what I have been reading up :
Expected release : April 2011
– Three separate versions : a Wi-Fi only unit, a GSM -WiFi unit, and a CDMA-WiFi unit . 4G capable is unlikely
– Same screen size 9.7 inch with improved less reflective display with smudge proof coating , same resolution 1024 x 768 but unlikely to be Retina as the iPhone 4
– Dual core A5 processor
– Higher memory at least 512 MB similar to the iPhone 4
– Front ( at least 2 megapixel ) and rear camera ( probably 5 to 8 megapixel without flash ) – compatible with Facetime and 3rd party video conference solutions eg Skype
– A three-axis gyroscope like the iPhone 4
– Will be thinner and lighter using carbon fiber panels and thinner glass and a flat back surface
– wide-range speaker “covered with grilled liked metal mesh” in the iPad
– new forms of multitouch gesturing that could eliminate the need for a home button. There will be an increases in touch-controls, eliminating the need for buttons of any sort. In their place, users would swipe, tap, touching and squeezing areas to control different functions.
– built-in Near-Field Communications (NFC) technology : for mobile banking , e-Wallet and wireless payment for items at stores that support the system
– A video out port