The ICS upgrade for the Galaxy Note was released to German users yesterday and immediately the rom was available for download the same day at forum XDA. I upgraded mine yesterday ( I was last on Cyanogen 9 AOPK rom ) and these are the details :
Impressions of the rom :
1. It is still slight laggy with Touchwiz UI . This can be improved slightly by turning on the 2d Rendering from Developers Options and change animations to .5x instead of 1x. Or change launcher to Nova or Apex – you will lose most Samsung Widgets except S memo and s bookmarks
2. Overall performance I find the similar Touchwiz based leaked Alba V3 is slight slicker and smoother. This rom developer has now released his latest v4 based on this German ICS . This ICS build however loses out in slickness and smoothness to earlier leak AOPK builds such as Cyanofree, Liquid Smooth and Cyanogen9
3. Slight glitches in Playstore initially – force close but was resolved by clearing data at Settings/Applications
4. Glitches in Camera app – freeze at first launch. Relaunching was Ok . However immediate switch to Video Record mode, it freezes. I have to close app and relaunch it again
5. Was impressed by its default modem XXLPT – must say is the best baseband radio I have used so far in the Note. Those interested just to improve their baseband rdio can download it from my box at : https://www.box.com/s/1bf0a3f278ab80cfd0fa . Flash the extracted modem.bin file using Mobile Odin
6. USB connection mode , you need to set it up separately as follows :
- Tap Settings.
- Click More… (under Wireless and network).
- Then select USB utilities ~ Set USB cable connection mode.
- Select Connect storage to PC then.
- Connect USB cable from phone to PC.
- Select Turn on USB storage.
7. Most other stuffs works generally well – WiFi, bluetooth, WiFi hotspot, GPS, browsing,email etc. Did not faced any issues with my commonly used apps
8. Tested restoring from its default recovery – a disaster I’d say.
I tried to restore back my Cyanogen9 rom using the default recovery – system restore fail halfway and phone cannot boot back – hung at the Samsung logo
Boot back to recovery and select reset – same problem, phone cannot boot back
Tried to reinstall Abyss Kernel 4.2 – installation hung halfway and freeze . Test this again – same
Use the default recovery and tried to restore back my German ICS rom – restore system fail halfway
Boot back to recovery and noted Clockworkmod recovery changed to 184.108.40.206 which was Cyanogen9 default recovery
Tried reinstall Abyss kernel 4.2 – failed
Tried restore backup of Cyanogen9 and German ICS – both failed and phone restart and hung
Last resort – tested install Abyss kernel 3.9 – install sucess. Boot to recovery at advanced and select restore back my old GB rom ( Cassie LC1) – successfully restore with full root
So, a TIP to all users – DON’T attempt to do any restore using the default recovery ; seems is still quite problematic
Download link of rom :
N7000XXLPY_N7000OXALPY_DBT.zip ( 669 MB ) : http://www.hotfile.com/dl/155490069/c7932d4/N7000XXLPY_N7000OXALPY_DBT.zip.html
Extract in PC to get the tar file : N7000XXLPY_N7000OXALPY_N7000XXLPT_HOME.tar.md5 ( 999 MB)
Copy this tar file to phone Internal SD card or External SDCard
I use Mobile Odin in the phone to flash the tar file. Launch Mobile Odin and selerct “Open file” . You will be prompted to select file from either Internal SDcard or External SDcard – choose accordingly. Select the tar file. I have selected also to wipe data and all caches as I wanted a fresh slate of the rom
I selected Flash Firmware and the phone flash the rom and rebooted within 4 minutes to the new ICS rom . The rooted state of my previous rom remains.
I than relaunch Mobile Odin , select Kernel and flash CF Root kernel to regain ClockworkMod recovery :
CF Root : CF-Root-SGN_XX_OXA_LPY-v5.3-CWM5.zip ( 6.7 MB) : http://download.chainfire.eu/163/CF-Root/SGN/CF-Root-SGN_XX_OXA_LPY-v5.3-CWM5.zip
Extract it in PC to get the zImage file ( 8.4 MB) and copy it to Internal SDcard or External SDcard
Some screenshots of the homescreen of the rom in its default state :
Screenshots of the apps that comes with the rom :
Screenshots of the Premiun S note app : I noted my previous tests of 3 memos ( below 3 ) were auto restored back